Kernel Issues

Roger Heflin rogerheflin at gmail.com
Sat Jun 7 18:36:16 UTC 2008

Jelena i Zoran wrote:
> I have not been able to update the kernel on FC8 since
> kernel-2.6.24.3-12.fc8.
> All later versions stop loading at udev stage. I looked on the interned and
> others seem so have similar issues. None of the suggestions I found on
> the internet worked.
> The message I get at the boot stage is /sbin/modprobe abnormal exit ...
> There is some incompatibility between kernel modules and my computer.
> I have FC8 on two other computers and I had no trouble with the updates.
>
> Would compiling the kernel on my computer make any difference?
> I really do not know what else to try. I would appreciate any suggestions
> on how to resolve this issue. The problem is not just that I want to use
> the latest kernel but that many applications are crashing the x-windows.
> My thinking is that a kernel update would resolve these other issues
> (I base this on my previous experience with updates).
> Thanks,
> Zoran

Compiling the kernel won't likely help, but you never know.   It is likely that
it is a specific module that is being loaded and causing you to have issues, and
it may be a module that you don't even need for anything you actually use.   If
it is a module that you need though, you have a problem.

There is probably a way to prevent udev from loading any modules that you don't
absolutely need and then you can go load them one at a time until you figure out
which is locking you up.   You could for simplicity sake just move the modules
that usually get loaded but that are not absolutely out of /lib/modules for the
kernel that you are testing and manually reload them with insmod to see if any
cause the lockup (assuming that the trouble module is not one needed for boot-ie
a disk or disk related module).

I believe on one of my machines with certain kernels that the module
snd_via82xx_modem was causing me issues, it would lockup on boot most of the
time at the udev stage.

                           Roger