trends in fedora

Russell Strong russell at strong.id.au
Sat Jun 7 20:11:10 UTC 2008

Hi,

I've just installed Fedora 9 on my laptop, and unfortunately a few
things are getting worse in Fedora.

Network management has always been awkward on Fedora and with Fedora 9
it's getting much worse.

1. I have always edited the config files directly to get things
working.  And still have to ( it's just a straight forward wireless
connection ).
2. NetworkManager is now the default on install, BUT...
    2.1 NetworkManager does not give you a wireless connection when no
user is logged in.
          2.1.1 How am I going to run any network service, NTP, NFS,
httpd, etc..... without a network?
          2.1.2 How am I going to remotely administer my machines?
    2.2 NetworkManager does not give you the ability to configure system
wide networking services or policy.
    2.3 NetworkManager does not have any decent documentation.
3. Try using WPA and DHCP at the same time.  It's never worked in this
or any previous Fedora.  Yes, NM will do it, but that's no good because
of the previously stated problems.  the network service won't do it
because it tries to run DHCP immediately after bringing up the
interfaces...It SHOULD wait until wpa_supplicant has run and the
interface is available for traffic before kicking off DHCP...

GDM was functional, well behaved and stable in Fedora 8.  I used it to
log into other F8 machines locked away in difficult to get at racks.
Fedora 9 has effectively removed that ability by shipping a GDM with
gdmsetup.  How many users depend on that functionality?  I did, and
won't be able to upgrade to F9 for any other machines.

A suggestion...

Use the fedora website/wiki to collect information about use cases.
Find out what people depend on.  Use that to provide a guarantee that
functionality and usefulness won't go backwards.  If it was ever setup,
I'd tell you everything I do with my machines.

Russell