fasttrak tx4310

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Sat Jun 7 23:55:25 UTC 2008

On Sat, 2008-06-07 at 13:32 -0400, Franck Y wrote:
> OK but i prefer the card option since it does not depend on the OS (in
> a way)

That would tend to go against perceived wisdom:

Depending on particular RAID hardware means that your data is held to
ransom.  If the hardware fails, you can no-longer access your data
unless you can replace the broken hardware with the exact same hardware.
This may be impossible a year or so later.

If data integrity is important to you, then you'd have to buy two sets
of RAID hardware, and not use the spare until the first breaks down, and
then only use the spare to move onto another set of RAID hardware with
working spares.

The opposite approach, of having your OS make a RAID using ordinary
drives and interfaces, means that everything is under your control.
There's also reports to say that speedwise this is just as good, if not
better, than some RAID hardware.

--
(This computer runs FC7, my others run FC4, FC5 & FC6, all using Gnome
 in case that's important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.