problem with Dolphin

max maximilianbianco at gmail.com
Sun Jun 8 00:28:36 UTC 2008

Tim wrote:
> On Sat, 2008-06-07 at 16:10 -0400, max wrote:
>> [x33 at localhost ~]$ rpm --query --whatprovides libnepomuk.so.4.0.4
>> no package provides libnepomuk.so.4.0.4
>>
>> Color me confused here
>
> Isn't "whatprovides" for asking about what provides a "capability," not
> about particular files?

I thought so from the man page but as you note below it will give
results sometimes anyway which confused me
There goes my inexperience showing again.... : )

> e.g. rpm -q --whatprovides webserver
> httpd-2.0.40-8
>
> See:  <http://docs.fedoraproject.org/drafts/rpm-guide-en/ch05s02.html#id2953745>
>
> Although that reference also suggests that you can query individual
> files, I find that it only gives an answer some of the time.  e.g. The
> grub.conf (menu.1st) file doesn't appear to belong to anything.  I
> haven't worked that whys and wherefores, but perhaps files generated by
> installing a RPM, rather than extracted from a RPM, don't count?
>
> To find what package provided a particular file, there's "rpm -qf".
>
> e.g. rpm -qf /full/path/to/the/file/you/want/to/know/about
>
> Does that query format give you an answer?

Yes thank you! I knew it had to be something simple and of course it is!!

[x33 at localhost ~]$ rpm -qf /usr/lib64/libnepomuk.so.4
  kdelibs-4.0.4-4.fc9.x86_64
  [x33 at localhost ~]$ rpm -qf /usr/lib64/libnepomuk.so.4.0.4
  kdelibs-4.0.4-4.fc9.x86_64

64 bit version of kdelibs , i assumed it would have listed these earlier
because it listed the 386 version as providing these and it should have
listed the 64 bit version too, at least by my reckoning at the time,
ass u me
I knew i was going to learn something today, turns out it was more than
one thing, bonus!!

thanks again!