DNS: Can public and private data be hosted by the same server?

Dan Thurman dant at cdkkt.com
Sun Jun 8 01:33:28 UTC 2008

On Saturday 07 June 2008 06:19:54 pm Tim wrote:
> On Sat, 2008-06-07 at 17:58 -0700, Dan Thurman wrote:
> > 1) Is it possible to "consolidate" the public and private
> >     DNS information in the same server?
>
> Yes, read about "views" or "split DNS" in the manuals.  It can give
> different answers depending on who's viewing it (based on *their* IP
> addresses).
> e.g. Queries from 192.168.1.0/24 range of addresses will be answered
> differently, than queries from other addresses.  You'll have different
> zone files for each.
> I'm not sure that you can also get the server to listen to interfaces
> differently.  i.e. Answer eth0 queries differently than eth1 queries,
> based on interface rather than the addresses.
>
> > My goal is to have two DNS servers for redundancy,
> > instead of 4 physical servers.
>
> ?
> More than one server on the same box isn't providing redundancy.

Ah, yes.  I understand the confusion.  What I meant to say is:

I wanted to have two physical DNS servers instead of four
physical servers, each supporting private and public data
instead of four physical servers.  I have two public (static)
IP addresses, so that if one physical server goes down, the
other physical server can continue to serve DNS queries.

Hope that is clear.

Thanks for the information regarding "views". I will certainly
look into this!

Dan