Kernel 2.6.25.4-10.fc8 no X w/ nvidia dkms from freshrpms

Steve Underwood steveu at coppice.org
Sun Jun 8 03:54:05 UTC 2008

Richard Shaw wrote:
> After updaing to kernel 2.6.25.4-10.fc8 X will not load. dkms runs and
> says it's loading the module but X fails to run. Choosing my previous
> (still installed) kernel 2.6.24.7-92.fc8 boots fine.
>
> Anyone else run into any X issues with the latest kernel?

With Fedora 9, an update to 2.6.24.4-30 has just broken X on my machine,
while rebooting to 2.6.24.3-18 works OK. In my case X usually loads, but
the X display is scrambled. I have a Matrox 400 card in this machine. I
was wondering if they broke the Matrox driver or more general X related
code. It looks like it may be the general code, as it seems people with
various cards are complaining in various forums.

Regards,
Steve