live CD root password?? -- UPDATE : real oddity

Beartooth Sciurivore beartooth at swva.net
Sun Jun 8 20:24:23 UTC 2008

On Fri, 06 Jun 2008 19:48:06 +0000, I Beartooth wrote:

> With F8, at least, I can log in as user fedora, with no password; but if
> I try to become root, it demands one. Where do I find it?
>
> 	I have a machine with a newly dead hard drive, not worth
> replacing, which does most of what little I still want from live CD; but
> there are a couple things that would be nice to tweak ...

	I had run DBAN against that hard drive; it would neither boot nor
accept a new install.

	But then I discovered that, though I could  not su, I could log
into the live CD as root. I played around with that for a while; then, on
a stray impulse, clicked on Install to Hard Drive.

	It worked!

	With the live CD gone, it has gone through firstboot, let me
install and remove things, done a whole yum update, let me run pirut,
rebooted, and the whole  nine yards.

	I don't pretend to understand what happened, nor why it worked;
and I have my doubts the poor old hard drive will last very much longer.
But it's a decidedly better situation while it lasts.

--
Beartooth Staffwright, Not Quite Clueless Power User
Remember I know little (precious little!) of where up is.