Fedora 9 + Network Manager = Wireless NOT Connecting

Paul Johnson pauljohn32 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 9 14:47:41 UTC 2008

2008/6/8 Marc Ferguson <marcferguson at gmail.com>:

> On Wed, Jun 4, 2008 at 10:44 AM, Paul Johnson <pauljohn32 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> 2008/5/29 Robert Cahn <robertscahn at gmail.com>:
>> > I have updated my desktop using the 64-bit desktop of F9 from F7.  My
>> > wireless is described by:
>> >
>> > 00:0a.0 Network controller: Intersil Corporation Prism 2.5 Wavelan
>> > chipset
>> > (rev 01)
>> >     Subsystem: Netgear MA311 802.11b wireless adapter
>> >     Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 32, IRQ 18
>> >     Memory at e9005000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=4K]
>> >     Capabilities: [dc] Power Management version 2
>> >     Kernel driver in use: hostap_pci
>> >     Kernel modules: orinoco_pci, hostap_pci
>> >
>> > Under F7 the wireless connected without any issues.
>> >

>> Turn off the service network
>> Turn on the service NetworkManager
>>
>> run the applet nm-applet to control your wireless logins.
>>
>> Do not try to make system-config-network work together with NM.
>>
>> pj
>>

>> --
>> Paul E. Johnson
>> Professor, Political Science
>> 1541 Lilac Lane, Room 504
>> University of Kansas
>>
>> --
>

> Hi Paul,
>
> Let me see if I understand.  I should go into the service configuration and
> disable "network" and enable "network manager" and I should be OK?
> --
> Marc F.

Yes.

inside your desktop, run the program nm-applet and use it to adjust
your settings.

Works for all except static IP for me.  For that, I have to use
nm-applet to turn off all networking, then use system-config-network
for static IP config.  Some people report that newest nm-applet can
manage this, but for me it is hit/miss.