dosemu and latest F8 kernel

Frank Cox theatre at sasktel.net
Tue Jun 10 00:51:40 UTC 2008

On Mon, 09 Jun 2008 20:05:56 -0400
"Kevin J. Cummings" <cummings at kjchome.homeip.net> wrote:

> I just looked, its 0 on my i386 F8 system running 2.6.24.7-92, and its
> 65536 on my x86_64 F9 system running 2.5.25.3-18.

I think it just changed on F8.  This machine has the latest kernel
( 2.6.25.4-10.fc8) and  /proc/sys/vm/mmap_min_addr  was set to 65536 by
default.  However, on another F8 computer that's still running the previous
kernel (2.6.24.7-92.fc8) /proc/sys/vm/mmap_min_addr defaults to 0.

Changing the value to 0 on this computer hasn't made any difference that I've
noticed so far, other than that dosemu once again runs.  I'm still wondering
why the default value was changed.

> (dosbox runs just fine
> on my F9 system.  I've had so many problems with dosemu in the past that
> I've abandoned it

It probably depends on what dos programs you're trying to run.  I use dosemu
extensively, myself, and haven't really found anything not to like about it.
I've never tried dosbox.  I've never really tried running dos games or
anything graphical under dosemu, either.