F9/64-bit on Mac Pro

Chris Stark cstark at hawaii.edu
Tue Jun 10 18:15:46 UTC 2008

Greetings,

I am trying to install F9 x86_64 on my new Mac Pro workstation (dual
Intel Xeon quad-core + 4GB RAM), and it appears that none of the F9
installer discs detect its USB hardware correctly.

When I boot using the DVD or LiveCD, everything proceeds as usual, but
once I get to the media check screen, I cannot use my keyboard. From the
LiveCD, neither the keyboard nor mouse work. I've tried swapping out
different keyboards and mice, and even hot-plugging, but nothing worked.
Also, the media works fine; I installed F9/64 on my work Dell from the
same disc.

F9 32-bit works just fine on the Mac Pro, but naturally I cannot use my
4GB of RAM w/ a 32-bit OS. Also, I managed to install Ubuntu 64-bit, and
that worked without issue. While Ubuntu is currently working acceptably
well, I really do prefer Fedora, so I really want to find a way to make
it work.

Please let me know if there is any information I can provide, or if
there are any tricks I can try with GRUB.

Thanks in advance!

Aloha,
Chris Stark