Can I rename a user??

Kevin Martin kevintm at ameritech.net
Tue Jun 10 20:42:24 UTC 2008

Beartooth wrote:
> 	I have a machine with an apparently failing hard drive, which I
> plan to give away to someone who may replace the drive. Of course I want
> my password and root's password off it.
>
> 	Root is not a problem; I simply change the password to a dummy I
> can remember, and let the recipient change it again, right?
>
> 	How about the user? I'd like to do a little more than that -- but
> not just delete the user and create a new one. The currently most likely
> recipient describes himself as a newbie -- meaning, I believe, to linux.
>
> 	I don't have to worry about actual data; I had wiped the drive
> with DBAN, and this is a new install, onto which I have yet to copy
> anything from any backups.
>
> 	But I do have various tweaks and adjustments -- arrangements of
> panels and launchers, default tabs for browsers and the gnome terminal,
> the workspace switcher, etc., etc.
>
> 	No doubt, when he's done this a while, he'll alter them all. But
> if it were me, I'd prefer starting with *something* to work from, rather
> than having to re-invent my whole workspace(s) from scratch. Can I give
> that to him? How?

Rename the user in /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow and wherever the users
home directory is to the new user.  The uid will stay the same in this
case.  The only problems that might arise is if the existing user name
is somehow embedded in any of the config files, data files, etc. that is
used for the session information, etc.

FWIW, you might be better off doing another new install and handing him
a box with /his/ user name already in place with whatever tweaks, etc.
you setup for yourself.

Kevin