VMware Workstation Weirdness - Can't Launch VM

Christopher A. Williams chriswfedora at cawllc.com
Tue Jun 10 21:26:46 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-06-10 at 15:48 -0500, Kevin Martin wrote:

> Christopher A. Williams wrote:
> > On Tue, 2008-06-10 at 15:01 -0400, max bianco wrote:

> > > what does the log have to say?
> > >

> > It's pretty long, and very routine.
> >
> > Here's what appears to be the key message though:
> > Jun 10 14:38:26.427: vcpu-0| VCPU 0 RunVM failed: Operation not
> > permitted.
> > Jun 10 14:38:26.427: vcpu-0| Panic: can't get userlevel lock.
> >
> > After that, there are no other errors in the log.
> >
> > I'll do the VM Support Script and see what happens there as well...
<snip...>

> What are the permissions/ownerships on the VM directories/files?  Are
> they adequate to run as the user you are trying to start the VM as?
> At one time there was a need to setuid the vmware executable also.
> Are you trying to run the virtual machine as root?  If not, will it
> start if you do?

...Well - I found the cause of _this_ problem after some digging
through /var/log/messages. But it still doesn't make sense to me.

What I found was that /var/log/messages reported that VMware couldn't
get a lock on VT because it was already in use by something else...

Solution: Uninstall all other things virtualization on the box. I still
had some KVM/QEMU components lying around.

That said, it doesn't make sense to me because I have a full KVM/QEMU
installation running on my laptop with the same F9 setup. Workstation
works there with no issues.

...So now the question is why will VMware Workstation and KVM live
together happily on one system but not the other?...

I'll keep digging.

Cheers,

Chris

--