[F8]: Getting MIDI player to work: HOW?

Dan Thurman dant at cdkkt.com
Wed Jun 11 01:15:56 UTC 2008

On Tuesday 10 June 2008 05:55:40 pm fred smith wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 10, 2008 at 05:52:09PM -0700, Dan Thurman wrote:
> > Hmm.  I did not realize that since my Amarok and other
> > sound players do work, why is it that MIDI does not?
> >
> > I do have PulseAudio installed...
> >
> > Also, when I click on PulseAudio Device Chooser, nothing
> > appears at all.
> >
> > Anyway, can someone point the way?
> >
> > Thanks!
> > Dan
>
> I dunno about Fedora, but on Centos 5 (RHEL5) there is no midi player.
> I couldn't find a RPM for timidity++ anywhere, but it was easy to
> build and install. now my web browser can play midi tracks without
> hassle.
> I know, some people prefer binary RPMs only, but sometimes they just
> aren't available.

Double-clicking on the midi file ran kmid, but there is no sound.

Timidity++ comes installed with Fedora 8.  But still, it does not
do anything.  I ran:

timidity -iA -OO &
TiMidity starting in ALSA server mode
Opening sequencer port: 128:0 128:1 128:2 128:3

Then kmid: no sound.

I used -OO because esound option (-Oe) failed to run Timidity++,
even though esound appears in pulseaudio manager as a client but
for some reason the -0e option fails.  I do notice in PA Mgr that
esound clients and modules are there, modules have arguments.
Maybe the modules needs to be configured? Dunno.

lsmod returns:
snd_rtctimer            6753  1
snd_hda_intel         319865  6
snd_seq_dummy           6853  0
snd_seq_oss            29633  0
snd_seq_midi_event      9921  1 snd_seq_oss
snd_seq                44913  6 snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi_event
snd_seq_device          9933  3 snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq
snd_pcm_oss            37441  0
snd_mixer_oss          16577  2 snd_pcm_oss
snd_pcm                61637  3 snd_hda_intel,snd_pcm_oss
snd_timer              21065  3 snd_rtctimer,snd_seq,snd_pcm
snd_page_alloc         11337  2 snd_hda_intel,snd_pcm
snd_hwdep              10309  1 snd_hda_intel
snd                    44517  19
snd_hda_intel,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq,snd_seq_device,snd_pcm_oss,snd_mixer_oss,snd_pcm,snd_timer,snd_hwdep
soundcore               9633  2 snd
pcspkr                  6592  0

What is missing is the midi module, I think.  I just don't see it.
Perhaps I need to manually add this in? If so, how is this done?

Thanks-
Dan