Rival update mechanisms in Fedora-9?

Timothy Murphy gayleard at eircom.net
Wed Jun 11 13:28:03 UTC 2008

Are there two (or even more) rival update tools
running under Fedora-9?

I just got a message which I took to be from SELinux,
telling me there were a number of important security updates
available.

I looked at the list, and they seemed to be mainly KDE updates.
(I'm running a KDE system.)
I was told that I hadn't updated for more than a week.
which was untrue.
(I ran "yum update" yesterday.)

I clicked on install, and assume the packages are being installed.
as I see from "top" that update.py is running.
I have a strange new icon which I have never seen before in my panel.
(What is it meant to be? It looks like a giant syringe.)
Right clicking on it tells me it is the PackageKit Update Applet.

But there seems no way of knowing now what packages are being installed.
It seems I shall have to wait until it has finished to find out.

Under Fedora-8 there used to be a much more civilized communication,
where I was told that new updates were available,
and asked if I wanted to see them.
If I said Yes I was shown a list of available updates,
and asked if I wanted to install them.
If I chose to do this, the window with the list of packages remained open,
and I was told what was happening.
Admittedly I was not told what package was being installed at each moment,
which I thought a pity.
But the new regimen of complete silence is off-putting.

I quite like a graphical tool for updating,
but I'd much prefer if it just did the same thing as "sudo yum update"
but in a pretty window.