Ripping music CDs - program that is good with multiple optical drives

Marland V. Pittman marland at mvpittman.com
Wed Jun 11 16:36:54 UTC 2008

Craig White wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-06-11 at 10:55 -0400, Marland V. Pittman wrote:
>
>> Hello Fedora Users I need some suggestions for ripping CDs.
>>
> ----
> I ended up using iTunes on one of my Windows systems in my office that I
> rarely use...set it up to scan and eject.

That's exactly the experience I'm looking for. Heck, I'd bring a box
into work with a "done" spool and a binder full of CDs and just run a
headless ripper, if I didn't think my colleagues would start tripping
out. Maybe I should just rip to .wma on the work laptop and give up on
the dream... :(
> It makes sense to rip them to uncompressed wav files but storage becomes
> a major hurdle because uncompressed is approximately 700 megabytes per
> CD and in my case, 420 Gigabytes of storage in uncompressed format. The
> benefit of having them uncompressed is that you get full fidelity for
> local playback but can write a simple shell script to compress a copy of
> them for the format of the moment (AAC/MP3/FLAC), without losing any
> quality which is a problem if you want to convert from AAC <=> MP3 <=>
> WMA formats which all involve loss.

Yeah, I do have plenty of drives, but I really don't want to use them
for storing uncompressed music.
I've got the CDs, so I guess I shouldn't worry too much about having
"originals". If the whole point is really being in a non-proprietary
format, then I shouldn't have to change it all the time.
> Also, check out the Nokia N810 (I don't know which formats it supports
> but scores high on cool).

I may look into it. I'm kind of set on something like the Asus "triple
e" or one of the soon to be released knock-offs as a portable machine
and music player.
> I don't know how practical it would be to try to rip more than one CD at
> a time - even with multiple processors but perhaps someone else has
> tried.

Yeah, that's kind of the whole point for me. In sequence is fine, but I
don't want to have to go to the gui, and specify what drive it should
rip from. I had really good experiences with Windows Media Player and
iTunes in that respect.