Ripping music CDs - program that is good with multiple optical drives

Marland V. Pittman marland at mvpittman.com
Wed Jun 11 17:05:48 UTC 2008

Todd Zullinger wrote:
> Marland V. Pittman wrote:
>
>> Craig White wrote:
>>
>>> I ended up using iTunes on one of my Windows systems in my office
>>> that I rarely use...set it up to scan and eject.
>>>

>> That's exactly the experience I'm looking for.
>>

> Grip has an option to auto rip on insert and auto eject when it is
> done.  Making it work with multiple cd drives isn't all that clean,
> but you can do it with a bit of fiddling.  I believe the basic ide is
> that you setup several grip config files, one for each drive, then
> start grip with the --config option pointed at the proper config.

Hmm... if Grip will do it, by running mulitple copies... one per drive,
that might work. I'd definitely be open to something  a bit more sleek
than running multiple instances of the same program though.
> I'm not sure if that would be significantly faster than doing one cd
> at a time or not.  I think the bottelneck might well be the processer
> power to encode the files, not the reading of the contents off the cd.
> But it depends on how fast your drives are and how much CPU you have
> to toss at the task I suppose. :)

Yeah, I think encoding will be slower than ripping, but, I'd be glad to
separate the tasks and do some huge batch encoding if it let me go
through the ripping part faster. I don't know if any of the programs
have a "batch encode" check box or option.

I do have that quad Opteron box, so I'm kind of hoping to get some sort
of efficiency out of it. I haven't looked at many benchmarks to see if
I'll benefit, but maybe running multiple instances with some sort of
processor affinity setting would be better in this case... who knows.