[F8]: Getting MIDI player to work: HOW?

Daniel B. Thurman dant at cdkkt.com
Wed Jun 11 18:21:15 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-06-11 at 09:51 -0700, Michael Schwendt wrote:

> 2008/6/11 Dan Thurman <dant at cdkkt.com>:
> >
> > Well... not for me.  I fundamental problem is that everything I have
> tried so
> > far does not get midi to work with pulseaudio.  Heck, giving up,
>
> All I need to do in F8 is to run "timidity file.mid" and it plays via
> pulseaudio. As a test I can run Audacious in parallel and let it play
> via its pulseaudio output plugin, too. I haven't set up anything for
> this.
>
> > The whole point of this exercise , is that I can get Midi to run
> albeit,
> > crappy sounding, so why is it that PulseAudio cannot even do that
> much - I
> > haven't found any place where I can setup MIDI under PulseAudio.
> >
> > Any advice, please?
>
> timidity outputs to the normal PCM device, because it is a software
> wavetable player.
>
> --

Ok, running Timidity works perfectly for me.  But when I tried to run
this midi file with Audiacious, what is odd is that it does not allow me
to run the file with it's default configuration.  Granted, I tried to
configure
the Midi Add-in I:

1) Added the Soundfonts (PCLite)
2) Enabled 14:0 Midi Through:  Midi Through Midi Port-0
3) The default 'ADmidi' backend is ALSA backend 0.8b1, and
    did not work so I selected: FluidSynth Backend 0.8b1
4) Applied the changes

Then clicked the Right-Arrow (Play) button and it sounded like
only treble was playing - tinny sound.  Missing was the base
clef.  So how do I make sure that the configuration is properly
setup here?

Thanks!
Dan