Checking CPU temperature

Paul Smith phhs80 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 11 20:51:50 UTC 2008

On Wed, Jun 11, 2008 at 9:42 PM, Patrick O'Callaghan
<pocallaghan at gmail.com> wrote:
>> > You should never get a negative temperature reading. With the exception of
>> > military grade equipment, very little equipment is rated to operate below
>> > the freezing point of water.
>> >
>> > The fact that sensor-detect did not find any temperature detectors is also a
>> > good indication that your motherboard does not support it.
>>
>> Thanks, Mikkel. My motherboard is a
>>
>> GA-81945PL-G
>>
>> one. Do other with the same motherboard experience the same problem
>> that I am facing?
>>
>> On the same machine, I have a MS Windows partition. Is there some MS
>> Windows program to check the CPU temperature?
>
> Several, though they tend to be shareware. Still, you should be able to
> at least check if they work without having to pay anything. Google is
> your friend.
>
> Also, IIRC some motherboards come with a CD of Windows apps which
> include temperature instruments. I know Intel does this. You can also
> download these things from www.intel.com (only for their own mobos of
> course).

Thanks, Patrick.

I guess Mikkel's guess is not correct, as I can see the CPU
temperature when within the BIOS setup. My motherboard has to have
such a temperature sensors, as otherwise the BIOS could not get the
CPU temperature. Probably, something is not working properly on Fedora
side.

Paul