Checking CPU temperature

David Timms dtimms at iinet.net.au
Wed Jun 11 21:58:28 UTC 2008

Paul Smith wrote:
> I guess Mikkel's guess is not correct, as I can see the CPU
> temperature when within the BIOS setup. My motherboard has to have
> such a temperature sensors, as otherwise the BIOS could not get the
> CPU temperature. Probably, something is not working properly on Fedora
> side.
How many temperatures are shown in the BIOS ?

If your machine has been on a while and you reboot, what are the value
shown in BIOS vs the values shortly after booting fedora. This might
help you work out which sensor is reading what {or anything at all}.

The second issue is scaling; the sensors give a reading that software
needs to scale {maybe invert as well depending on the chip}, to legit
temperature values.

The next thing to try would be to see if opening the lid, or heating the
PC up causes the temp values to change - at all ?

$ man sensors.conf