F9 and multiple sound cards - no go

Amadeus W.M. amadeus84 at verizon.net
Wed Jun 11 23:11:21 UTC 2008

On Wed, 11 Jun 2008 12:00:57 -0700, Florin Andrei wrote:

> This system has an NForce motherboard with a sound chip. There's also a
> USB-attached external sound card.
>
> To use the USB card, all I had to do before was to create an ~/.asoundrc
> file with the following content:
>
> defaults.pcm.card 1
> defaults.ctl.card 1
>
> And all sounds would be played to the USB device.
>
> With F9, this doesn't seem to work. I made some changes to the .asoundrc
> file (tried device #0 instead of #1), nothing happened. Went to System /
> Preferences / Hardware / Sound and tried different devices - nothing
> happened.
>
> Rhythmbox doesn't work - no sound. Flash plugin doesn't work. Video
> players do work, but without sound.
>
> The only thing that works properly is XMMS. I configured manually the
> ALSA output plugin to use USB Audio Codec and it works fine.
>
> So what do I do to enable sound on the USB sound card for all the other
> applications?
>
> --
> Florin Andrei
>
> http://florin.myip.org/

Assuming you're using pulseaudio:

pactl stat      # see which sink is the default

pactl list      # see which sink is which

In my case, the default is sink 0, which happens to be the onboard card.
The speakers are not connected to that one, but to the pci card which
happens to be sink 1. Finally,

cat /etc/pulse/client.conf       # set the default sink here.

To play mp3s with mpg123 I have to alias it to

alias mpg123='mpg123 -o alsa -a plug:front:1'

I guess mpg123 hasn't heard of pulseaudio.