ssmtp, normal user can't access it

lux yuanlux at gmail.com
Wed Jun 11 23:32:55 UTC 2008

Hi,
I have a smaill linux box (MyBookWorld NAS) with this system

Linux MyBookWorld 2.6.17.14 #1 PREEMPT Fri Jan 18 10:40:25 GMT 2008
armv5tejl GNU/Linux

I use getmail to fetch mails, mutt as mailer and ssmtp as MTA. getmail and
mutt work ok. there is a bit problem with ssmtp

As a normal user, I call ssmtp via a line in the mutt configure file muttrc
as this

set sendmail="/sbin/ssmtp -t -i"

When to send mail via mutt, it always aborted and show this error
ssmtp: can't resolve symbol '__guard'

This user has sudo right.
if I set muttrc as this

set sendmail="sudo /sbin/ssmtp -t -i"

send mail via mutt is working.

I tried command line ssmtp as a normal user or as sudo user, it behavours
the same. Not working and the same error message for normal user, but worked
for sudo user.

please as this is very light system, sendmail is not installed here.

could someone point me to fix?