I HATE Evolution ! Thunderbird ?

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Thu Jun 12 14:56:07 UTC 2008

On Thursday 12 June 2008 15:22:54 Chris Jones wrote:
> > I've been using kmail for several years.  Tried evo and hated it - of
> > course that was years ago, so it may be quite different now.  Tried
> > Thunderbird, but there were too many things in kmail that I couldn't do
> > in t'bird, so here I stay :-)
>
> I also used to use kmail a lot but eventually gave up on it due to its
> imap support not being that good (IMHO). Does it still force the user to
> choose when setting up an imap account between 'imap' and 'disconnected
> imap' ? Either you choose 'imap' where messages are only downloaded as
> they are needed, but you have no offline support, or 'disconnected
> imap', where they are available offlne, but kmail insists you download
> them *all*, not just as and when you read them. This always seemed an
> insane choice to me
>
> I now use thunderbird which has the best of both, offline support and
> download on demand...
>
> I hope kmail's imap support gets some attention in KDE4, if it does then
> I might go back ...

In 3.5.x online IMAP works well, and I really wouldn't want the amount of list
traffic I read to be off-line IMAP, so that doesn't worry me.  It's true that
there are some issues with off-line IMAP, particularly if you include
addressbook and calendar etc..  Some people get it working perfectly, but
many don't.

I, too, look forward to the new pim, but it may be next year before it
arrives.

(I wonder if Daniel was using dimap when he complained of multiple copies of
messages?  That's the reason I gave up, when I tested it.)

Anne