Firefox 3 beta on Fedora 9 uses lots of IO after start

Patrick O'Callaghan pocallaghan at gmail.com
Thu Jun 12 17:28:18 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-06-10 at 14:08 -0700, stan wrote:
> Brian C. Huffman wrote:
> > I don't know for sure, but I think this must have been fixed by rc2 (based on my current performance).  I couldn't live with the IO thrashing in b5.
> >
> > I just downloaded the binary from mozilla.org and installed it under /usr/lib/firefox-3.0rc2 and changed the references in /usr/bin/firefox.  My performance is *much* better now.
> >
> > Once they get an RPM out, I'll switch.  But for now, I'm able to actually work.
> >
> > -b
> Thanks for letting me know that RC2 is fixed for this issue, sounds like
> the way to go.
> You're right about how inconvenient it is. :-)

I dl´ed the RC3 binary from mozilla.com and it does seem to work better.
Unfortunately it's a 32-bit binary so a lot of my plugins don't work. I
can't seem to find a 64-bit version anywhere. I seem to remember Mozilla
used to keep a larger set of binaries in ftp.mozilla.com, not all of
which appeared on the Web page, but now it's gone.

Anyone managed to obtain (or build) a 64-bit version of RC3?

poc

PS I don't understand why this isn't considered important enough to be
put in the updates repo.