Ripping music CDs - program that is good with multiple optical drives

max bianco maximilianbianco at gmail.com
Thu Jun 12 19:36:05 UTC 2008

On Thu, Jun 12, 2008 at 2:36 PM, Marland V. Pittman
<marland at mvpittman.com> wrote:
> Marland V. Pittman wrote:
>>
>> Hello Fedora Users I need some suggestions for ripping CDs.
>
> I only got a short session in last night. My toddlers were clingy, and we
> had to make a run to the grocery.
>
> I took three CDs... my Kanye West discs. I loaded up my Fedora Install,
> which was hosed up from an kmod-nvidia yum install for some reason...
> getting rid of that let me try a few installations. I had three drives in my
> box at the time. 64-bit Fedora with updates. Gnome Desktop. Default apps
> installed.
>
> I tried Banshee, since it just went 1-dot-oh. Great experience. I'll
> probably go with it. (yum install banshee went well). It didn't find album
> info for one of the discs, and told me so.
>
> Rythmbox seemed hard to find options for "automatic" ripping. I won't be
> selecting discs manually, that's for sure. Maybe Rythymbox was reduced in
> functionality because of SoundJuicer being installed along side it.
> SoundJuicer seems to be designed to do exactly one thing, which is cool, I
> guess. I can't remember it really working well on multiple discs though.

 As i inserted disks they showed up on the left then a right click and
left click on copy to library and the disk was queued up. The second
disk showed up separately and under the first, followed the same
procedure and it gets queued up to rip after the first. Though I have
not looked for an autorip option since its not much work to select
them myself and who's going to change disks if I am not there? I also
have not seen it alert when done but again i am sitting there and
personally I am in no particular hurry. I have days of music already
on board and i haven't shuffled through all of it yet. Come to think
of it KAudio has an option for autorip and IIRC you can set it so it
only rips on successful retrieval of the tags. and it will tell you
when done and if it fails to retrieve tag info. Have you tried it?

> I yum installed grip, and it looked like I'd be able to do exactly what I
> wanted, but there were too many options. The script solutions I've been
> offered are similarly complex. I don't think I know enough about what I want
> to choose. I just want my discs digitized without hassle.
>
> I didn't get around to trying any KDE apps like Amarok, but I was pretty
> impressed by Banshee. I'm not big on that whole "Mono is Evil" thing, and
> I'm glad there were packages for Fedora.

You can run KDE apps under gnome so don't let the lack of KDE desktop stop you.

--
I am altering  the deal. Pray I do not alter it any further.--Darth Vader