tr problem

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Thu Jun 12 20:35:09 UTC 2008

Hi folks;

I'm trying to convert a test file, src code for a legacy computer, whose eol is
a single cr into one with a newline subbed for each cr, and tr is being a pita,
it broken, or there is PEBKAC.

If I use this syntax:

tr -c \r \n <filename  >filename2

Then the whole file is converted to nnnnnnnnnn's, every byte.

The manpage (and pinfo tr too) is, shall we say, completely lacking in how to
handle the file I/O.

So how do you use tr?"

Or is there a better tool for this than tr?

Thanks.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)