server hanged per hour

Mike Bird mgb-fedora at yosemite.net
Fri Jun 13 10:49:29 UTC 2008

On Fri June 13 2008 02:28:06 Rilawich Ango wrote:
> Finally, I still suspect there is a hardware problem or kernel
> problem.  How can I determine the source of the problem in the
> message?

You can try examining all of your logs for the few minutes before
the reboot, but particularly /var/log/messages and /var/log/cron.

You can setup a cronjob to append "ps fax" to a file every
minute and look there for unexpected processes running.

Shortly after a reboot you can use something like this:
"find / -amin -10 -amin +5 -type f | less" to find files last
accessed 5-10 minutes before running the find command.
Adjust the numbers to cover the five minute period prior
to the reboot.  Were any unexpected programs accessed?

You can watch the system console starting a few minutes before
the reboot for any unusual error messages which may - perhaps
due to hardware or kernel failures - have not been captured in
your log files.

--Mike Bird