Lost DNS lookup

John Cornelius jc at hangarpilot.net
Fri Jun 13 23:16:36 UTC 2008

The most likely problem is that you have been issued a bogus name server
address by DHCP or you have a good one but you can't access it. First
you should check the order in which nslookups are done in
/etc/nsswitch.conf and be certain that DNS is the first choice. Then
doing an nslookup or dig will either do the right thing or report that
it cannot get a name for the name server address.

If the problem is in DHCP then it will spread to other machines. If the
name server address is correct but you cannot access it check your
routing tables and try a traceroute to the name server to ensure that
you can get to it. It never hurts to check /etc/resolv.conf either. If
the machine has been hacked the file may not be writeable and DHCP
client won't be able to write to it. With Linux there are a lot of
things to check so besides doing cat and ls do a lsattr on the file. All
of the attributes should be off. While you're at it do a netstat -r to
check the route to the name server (usually the default route).

John Cornelius