How to write to files on OS (F8) that won't boot

Mike Williams dmikewilliams at gmail.com
Sat Jun 14 05:09:17 UTC 2008

On Fri, Jun 13, 2008 at 6:50 PM, Antonio Olivares
<olivares14031 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> --- On Fri, 6/13/08, Nigel Henry <cave.dnb2m97pp at aliceadsl.fr> wrote:

>> I've tried every incantion I can think of to write to
>> F8's filesystem using
>> Knoppix. I can read the files, can make changes to the
>> files, but can't save
>> the changes. Always permission denied.
>>
>> I have been able to do this before, but time has past, and
>> along with getting
>> a bit old, the truth is I'm really stuck.
>>
>> Would someone be kind enough to tell me how to get write
>> access to an
>> unbootable distro's filesystem, using Knoppix for
>> example.

This is from a message posted by Rob on this list, which was memorable
(and searchable) due to the two words 'remount myself'
Once you've booted from a knoppix or a rescue cd and have a shell prompt

"Found it myself:  # mount -o remount,rw /
Then I can edit and correct /etc/fstab."

It worked for me once ;-)

good luck,

Mike