f9 NetworkManager doesn't honor DHCP hostname and domain

Timothy Murphy gayleard at eircom.net
Sat Jun 14 12:27:16 UTC 2008

Skunk Worx wrote:

> I see in the logs the DHCP info is there, but my machines are always
> localhost.localdomain using NetworkManager.
>
> Disabling NetworkManager and enabling network (via chkconfig) seems to
> fix it...I wonder why this is a low priority bug in bz?
>
> Every unix/linux I know of honors the DHCP info.

Far be it from me to defend NM,
but are you sure you have actually given your computer name,
(a) in /etc/sysconfig/network, and
(b) in your DHCP server's /etc/dhcpd.conf ?

I'd guess service network is getting the info
from /etc/sysconfig/networ-scripts/ifcfg-<whatever>
which NM perhaps does not read, or at least take into account?