Recent updates caused Grub installation to be damaged?

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Sat Jun 14 22:31:46 UTC 2008

Brian Morrison writes:

> I updated this morning for the new kernel plus another 30 or so updates.
>
> After rebooting, I got a screen that read just GRUB, then nothing.
>
> Initially I thought that the device.map file might have been the
> problem, it had an entry for fd0 in it as the first device, then hd0
> as /dev/sda. I edited the file to remove the fd0 entry and tried again,
> but still the same result. In the end I re-installed grub again and got
> the correct stage 1.5 message before the Grub screen came up.

Generally, editing device.map is not enough. /sbin/grub-install must be
invoked to reinitialize the bootloader using the updated device.map file.
So, your changes to device.map didn't take effect until you reinstalled
grub.

> Has anyone else had problems of this nature on updates recently? I
> suppose this could have been a glitch but I've never had a boot sector
> damaged before in this way in all the time I've been using Redhat and
> Fedora,

Not with the most recent set of updates, but both of my servers that use
softraid ended up getting a busted grub configuration installed by F9's
anaconda, when I upgraded from F8.