Any hope of KDE 3.5 in F10? I want it too !

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Sun Jun 15 02:30:11 UTC 2008

Mike Bird <mgb-fedora <at> yosemite.net> writes:
> I would rather not change distros unless I have to, I'm hoping that
> KDE 4.x in F9 was a mistake that won't be repeated.  I'm hoping that
> Fedora will include KDE 3.5 until KDE 4.x is ready for prime time.

Then you're hoping for the impossible. As one of the people involved, I can
tell you that KDE 4 in Fedora 9 was not a mistake, but a very carefully made
decision, that there are no plans to revert to KDE 3 (which would likely break
upgrades from F9 in several ways, and would just generally be a
counterproductive step backwards) or propose both versions (which would be a
lot of work and also mean violating the standard FHS directory layout, at least
in spirit) in Fedora 10 and that I would be strongly opposed to any such plans.

> It's hard to believe that Red Hat would ship KDE 4.1 in F10, but if

s/Red Hat/the Fedora Project/
This decision was not made by Red Hat, it was made by the Fedora KDE
maintainers, and the Fedora KDE SIG as a whole. Most KDE SIG members are not
Red Hat employees. I do not work for Red Hat and neither do Rex Dieter,
Sebastian Vahl etc. And to the best of my knowledge, the Red Hat KDE packagers
(Than Ngo and Lukáš Tinkl) haven't been told what KDE version to ship by Red
Hat's management either. Of course I can't speak for Red Hat, but I believe
they trust us who actually work on KDE to do the right thing.

        Kevin Kofler