tr problem

Ric Moore wayward4now at gmail.com
Sun Jun 15 06:36:59 UTC 2008

On Sun, 2008-06-15 at 00:19 -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Saturday 14 June 2008, Ric Moore wrote:

> >Whoops! You ferget the NEC Spinwriter at 50 cps! It was smart and tabbed
> >over spaces to do it. Diablo's (I've had several) needed software
> >drivers to do the same thing. I wish I still had mine. <sighs> Ric
> >
> Ahh Ric, but the Spinwriter was not IIRC a real daisy, it was more like an
> overgrown thimble that IIRC had more then one char per leaf, so it moved in 2
> directions to put the right character under the hammer.  It spun, and moved up
> and down but it didn't have to move near as far as the daisy wheel did to put
> the right char under the hammer.
>
> Diablo's by now, have a platen roller that is as hard as glass, this in spite
> of, or perhaps because of, repeated applications of rubber renu, so their much
> vaunted quality of the finished product hasn't been like new in 30 years.

I used rubbing alcohol liberally to "soften it up".

> But I still own it till the next time it gets in my way out in the storage shed.
> Then it goes onto a 2 wheeler, and to the curb.  It was nice, very nice, for as
> long as it lasted, about 15 years of fairly steady use here. I probably ran 30
> cartons of std tractor feed through it myself.

Remember when you could by a carton of paper for $15? Ribbons for $4?
Now my damn printer uses 25 cents worth of ink when you turn it on and
it prints a damn test page. I miss the look of a good carbon ribbon's
output, too. It looked "raised" and very professional. Ah, they were
gentler times. I could type on the 5525 SpinWriter's keyboard and
through the full duplex serial connection to my Apple][, I got lower
case!! Ha! Ric

http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/oar
https://oar.dev.java.net/
Verizon Cell # 336-254-1339