tr problem

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Sun Jun 15 14:44:41 UTC 2008

On Sunday 15 June 2008, Ric Moore wrote:
>On Sun, 2008-06-15 at 00:19 -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
>> On Saturday 14 June 2008, Ric Moore wrote:
>> >Whoops! You ferget the NEC Spinwriter at 50 cps! It was smart and tabbed
>> >over spaces to do it. Diablo's (I've had several) needed software
>> >drivers to do the same thing. I wish I still had mine. <sighs> Ric
>>
>> Ahh Ric, but the Spinwriter was not IIRC a real daisy, it was more like an
>> overgrown thimble that IIRC had more then one char per leaf, so it moved
>> in 2 directions to put the right character under the hammer.  It spun, and
>> moved up and down but it didn't have to move near as far as the daisy
>> wheel did to put the right char under the hammer.
>>
>> Diablo's by now, have a platen roller that is as hard as glass, this in
>> spite of, or perhaps because of, repeated applications of rubber renu, so
>> their much vaunted quality of the finished product hasn't been like new in
>> 30 years.
>
>I used rubbing alcohol liberally to "soften it up".
>
>> But I still own it till the next time it gets in my way out in the storage
>> shed. Then it goes onto a 2 wheeler, and to the curb.  It was nice, very
>> nice, for as long as it lasted, about 15 years of fairly steady use here.
>> I probably ran 30 cartons of std tractor feed through it myself.
>
>Remember when you could by a carton of paper for $15? Ribbons for $4?

Now they are $25 an old box, and $14 and change in 10 packs, aka something in
the $150 range for a box of ribbons.  Youch!

>Now my damn printer uses 25 cents worth of ink when you turn it on and
>it prints a damn test page. I miss the look of a good carbon ribbon's
>output, too. It looked "raised" and very professional. Ah, they were
>gentler times. I could type on the 5525 SpinWriter's keyboard and
>through the full duplex serial connection to my Apple][, I got lower
>case!! Ha! Ric

CoCo's have always had lowercase, just didn't show it.  I'm logged into mine
with minicom right now. :-)  Working on mouse drivers, somebodies update broke
them.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)