bootable failed sw raid 1 with F9

Sander Hoentjen sander at hoentjen.eu
Sun Jun 15 17:43:44 UTC 2008

Hi list,

For the first time in my life i tried to install Fedora with sw raid.
See below what went wrong.

Here is what I did:
Start with 2 empty 500GB sata disks.
Make sure nvraid is turned off in my BIOS.
Start an F9 install, creating 2 sw RAID partitions: md0 and md1.
md0 is 100MB and has an ext3 /boot.
md1 has the rest of the space and is LVM.
In the lvm I have created the rest of my partitions.

Install went great, after reboot my system booted fine, so far so good.
I then shutdown my system, pulled out a disk and started again. I got
the message "GRUB Hard Disk Error". So I shut down, plugged the disk
back in, pulled out the other one and started again. This time I was met
by a GRUB shell, no boot logo, no idea what to do (no menu).
Shutdown again, replug the disk, start again, get on IRC, type:
grub
root (hd0,0)
setup (hd0)
root (hd1,0)
setup (hd1)

After that: reboot minus 1 disk. I can see grub, with logo and boot
options. It starts ok, i even get rhgb for a second and then I see:
"fsck.ext3: Invalid argument while trying to open /dev/md0"
I can go into a maintenance shell and when I do cat /proc/mdstat is see:
md0 : inactive sda1[0](s)

"mdadm --assemble /dev/md0" turns it active again, but well I have no
idea how I can continue normal boot, if it is even possible.

So this is my story, now my questions:
- Did I do anything wrong? I performed the installation twice, with both
times the same result.
- Is this a bug somewhere? Do other people get the same or better
results?
- Is there anything I can do to fix this?

Thanks for reading this far,

Sander