bootable failed sw raid 1 with F9

Sun Jun 15 18:28:25 UTC 2008

On Jun 15, 2008, at 10:51 AM, Frank Murphy wrote:

> On Sun, 2008-06-15 at 19:43 +0200, Sander Hoentjen wrote:
>> Hi list,
>>
>> For the first time in my life i tried to install Fedora with sw raid.
>> See below what went wrong.
>>
>> Here is what I did:
>> Start with 2 empty 500GB sata disks.
>> Make sure nvraid is turned off in my BIOS.
>> Start an F9 install, creating 2 sw RAID partitions: md0 and md1.
>> md0 is 100MB and has an ext3 /boot.
>
> This could be the blind leading the blind,
> but just raided my centos5.
> and was advised not to raid the /boot.
> as it can get confused as to waht to boot from.
> If you need a backup boot just rsync it to the second drive as
> /boot1 (or similar)
>

> Frank

Although you haven't told us "what went wrong" (IE errors, when in
the boot process your system fails ect).

I would highly recommend using raid on your /boot partition, this
will enable you to boot should you loose a disk, or boot with one
disk unplugged for software updates and such (allows a restore point
to boot back into the original should the updates / changes break
some functionality on your system)

I would imagine that you only wrote to the MBR for one of your disks,
and your bios is attempting to boot from the other. If this is the
case your bios will report "no operating system installed" or
something to that effect.

Enter your bios and change your startup order to boot from the other
hard disk. (this process changes depending on bios make and
manufacture so I'll leave you to figure it out on your own)

once you boot your OS from the drive where the MBR was written, open
a terminal:

grub --no-floppy

you'll then see a grub prompt:

grub>

continue with:

grub> find /boot/grub/stage1
  (hd0,0)
  (hd1,0)
grub>

If you're disks are /dev/sda and /dev/sdb do the following to install
grub on both:

device (hd0) /dev/sda
root (hd0,0)
setup (hd0)