Fedora 9 /dev/rtc missing

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Mon Jun 16 01:16:34 UTC 2008

byrdca at gmail.com wrote:
> I have a dual boot Fedora 9 / Win XP Pro box.  I notice that when I
> boot to fedora my time is wrong and "System Clock Uses UTC" is still
> checked even though I unchecked it at install time.  When attempting
> to clear the "UTC" check box and reset the time with
> system-config-date I get the following error "Failed to synchronize
> hardware clock.  This may be because there is no hardware clock
> accessible, e.g. when running in a virtualized environment".  I am not
> running in a virtualized environment so I checked the output of the
> following:
>
>   hwclock --debug --show
>
> and got the following response
>
>   hwclock from util-linux-ng 2.13.1
>   hwclock: Open of /dev/rtc failed, errno=2: No such file or directory.
>   No usable clock interface found.
>   Cannot access the Hardware Clock via any known method.
>
> I ran dmesg | grep /dev/rtc and got no hits, I booted hit del to enter
> setup and checked the cmos menu in order to look at the clock and it
> seemed right so I don't think the battery has failed.

Let me start by saying that XP has an option to run the clock in UTC,
and that you would have been happier to run your hardware clock that
way. Having the hardware clock reset seems to leads to other learning
experiences.

It sounds as if your hardware clock is simply not usable by the kernel
drivers. However, if you boot and get the system starting at nearly the
right time, then it's likely that your hardware is being read. In
/var/log/messages, when you boot do the messages have the right time? If
so some source of the clock was found.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>