F9/64-bit on Mac Pro

Chris Stark cstark at hawaii.edu
Mon Jun 16 06:18:47 UTC 2008

Chris Stark wrote:
>> I am trying to install F9 x86_64 on my new Mac Pro workstation (dual
>> Intel Xeon quad-core + 4GB RAM), and it appears that none of the F9
>> installer discs detect its USB hardware correctly.
>>
>> When I boot using the DVD or LiveCD, everything proceeds as usual, but
>> once I get to the media check screen, I cannot use my keyboard. From
>> the LiveCD, neither the keyboard nor mouse work. I've tried swapping
>> out different keyboards and mice, and even hot-plugging, but nothing
>> worked. Also, the media works fine; I installed F9/64 on my work Dell
>> from the same disc.
>>
>> F9 32-bit works just fine on the Mac Pro, but naturally I cannot use
>> my 4GB of RAM w/ a 32-bit OS. Also, I managed to install Ubuntu
>> 64-bit, and that worked without issue. While Ubuntu is currently
>> working acceptably well, I really do prefer Fedora, so I really want
>> to find a way to make it work.
>>
>> Please let me know if there is any information I can provide, or if
>> there are any tricks I can try with GRUB.
>
> Quick update... I installed CentOS 5.1/64-bit last night. It too
> installed without issue. This really seems to be a Fedora-specific
> issue. I have filed a bugzilla report.

I'm a little bummed out that nobody has had any advice (or even a
response) for this problem.

Anyway, just to be thorough, I tried F8/64-bit, and that installer hung
before even getting to the grub splash screen. I guess it's 32-bits for
me until F10 comes out (assuming it will work).

Is there any further information I can provide to give any further clues
why this is happening? I'm out of ideas.

As an aside, F9/32-bit only sees 2GB of my 4GB of RAM. On other systems
I've used, the 32-bit OSes usually see 3-3.5GB. Could this be a result
of the Apple EFI/Bootcamp?

Aloha,