tr problem

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Mon Jun 16 12:34:57 UTC 2008

On Monday 16 June 2008 13:12:59 Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> On Sun, 2008-06-15 at 12:02 +0100, Anne Wilson wrote:
> > On Sunday 15 June 2008 10:59:22 Tim wrote:
> > > There's quite a bit of skill in hand typing something
> > > without any errors.
> >
> > There's a lot of skill.  I remember all too well getting to the end of a
> > long document, only to find a typo.  The only resort was to rip it out
> > and start again.
>
> Actually, this is where the expression "cut-and-paste" originates :-)

Typewriters didn't have memory when I started :-)  You wouldn't believe some
of the machines I worked with.  They looked like something out of a 1930s
film.  London office got new typewriters and the existing ones rippled down
the pecking order.  Anything left at the end came to Batley, and I was at the
bottom of the pecking order there, too :-)

Anne