tr problem

Patrick O'Callaghan pocallaghan at gmail.com
Mon Jun 16 16:29:41 UTC 2008

On Mon, 2008-06-16 at 23:09 +0930, Tim wrote:
> Anne Wilson:
> >> There's a lot of skill.  I remember all too well getting to the end of a long
> >> document, only to find a typo.  The only resort was to rip it out and start
> >> again.
>
> Patrick O'Callaghan:
> > Actually, this is where the expression "cut-and-paste" originates :-)
>
> I always thought that term came from designing newspaper page layouts.

According to Wikipedia (source of all knowledge and wisdom):

        The term "cut and paste" derives from the traditional practice
        in manuscript-editing whereby people would literally cut
        paragraphs from a page with scissors and physically paste them
        onto another page. This practice remained standard as late as
        the 1960s. Stationery stores formerly sold "editing scissors"
        with blades long enough to cut an 8-1/2"-wide page. The advent
        of photocopiers made the practice easier and more flexible.

More to the point, I remember actually doing this ...

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cut-and-paste

poc