Build Fedora Core 6 gcc from src rpm on Fedora Core 9 with original options

Mauriat mirandam at gmail.com
Mon Jun 16 17:03:31 UTC 2008

On Mon, Jun 16, 2008 at 9:59 AM, Mark Ryden <markryde at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> Thanks.
> First, there is no compat-gcc with the exactly the same as Fedora Core 6.
>
> Second, I want to be able to build modules for Fedora Core 6 on a
> Fedora Core 9 machines.

Have you considered virtualization? Virtualbox? Xen? VMWare?

> I have installed a Feodra Core 6 kernel on a Fedora core 9 machine,

Out of curiosity, why even use Fedora 9? Wouldn't it be easier to just
install FC6?

> However, when building the module for FC6 on FC9, and trying to insmod
> it on the FC6 machine,
> I get an error telling it was built with the wrong gcc. So i want to
> build the module with the Fedora Core 6 gcc.

Recommendation to build as user.
# yum install yum-utils rpmdevtools

After you installed the SRC rpm, modify the SPEC file.

All the compile options you are looking for, should be in the SPEC file.

~/rpmbuild/SPECS/gcc41.spec

Off the top of my head, I would recommend *at least* the following:
1. rename the package 'Name' (from gcc to gcc-fc6 or something)
2. update/remove any 'BuildRequires' statements as packages may have
changed from FC6
3. Add some compile options to the build so it can co exist with an
existing GCC, something like:
   --prefix=/opt/gcc-fc6 --program-suffix=fc6 \
4. Disable ada, fortran, java, etc. - any language you don't care
about/don't need (highly recommended!)

# rpmbuild -ba ~/rpmbuild/SPECS/gcc41.spec

You might have to tweak some of those steps, not entirely sure.

> Any ideas what should I do ?

Have you tried looking into 'mock' ?
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Projects/Mock

-Mauriat