"cloning" (sort of ) an installation

Alan Cox alan at lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk
Mon Jun 16 18:15:04 UTC 2008

On Mon, 16 Jun 2008 09:13:14 -0700
"Alan Evans" <ame.fedora at gmail.com> wrote:

> Please excuse my inane question. I'm fairly experienced with
> administering RH/Fedora installations, but I've just never tried to do
> this before.
>
> I'm setting up a backup server which is to have substancially the same
> packages installed as the primary. I can easily enough get the list of
> installed packages on the primary with "rpm -qa", but how do I turn
> that list into something that will as automatically as possible
> download and install/upgrade packages on the secondary? Or is that
> completely wrong-headed?

You can generate package lists and feed them into yum, or you might want
to investigate the kickstart facility which lets you script entire
installs. Its normally used for big setups where you need to produce
"desktop pc type 1" to order but it'll work for two.

If you just need to make sure the right packages are present then
something like

	rpm -qa > log

	(transfer to other box)

	yum install $(cat log)

ought to do the trick [  $(foo) substitutes the output of command foo for
the $(foo) ]