Fedora 9 & runlevel 3

Patrick O'Callaghan pocallaghan at gmail.com
Mon Jun 16 22:38:54 UTC 2008

On Mon, 2008-06-16 at 16:54 -0400, Tom Horsley wrote:
> On Mon, 16 Jun 2008 15:13:10 -0400
> Bob Barrett <bobbrrtt at earthlink.net> wrote:
>
> > I probably looked at /etc/event.d/rcS so many times that I saw less each
> > time. What is missing?
>
> As near as I can tell, all the "awk" command in there does is look
> for the first line with "initdefault" in the 3rd ":" separated field,
> and it isn't doing anything to ignore lines starting with '#'.

It's setting the runlevel to what the field next to 'initdefault' says.

> I don't know enough awk to say how to fix it though :-).

Why does it need fixing? The comment in /etc/inittab says exactly what
it's for, and that's exactly what it does. Specifically, it says
that /etc/inittab is no longer used for general-purpose setup (as it was
in earlier versions), it's *only* for setting the default runlevel.

poc