Strange interface problem.

Mark Haney mhaney at ercbroadband.org
Tue Jun 17 14:54:44 UTC 2008

I have a straight installed F9 box I'm using to test various things and
I've noticed something really odd.  I have 3 network interfaces in the
server (a single port card and a dual port one) and F9 setup the
interfaces almost exactly reversed from the F8 install I had on it
before.  I.e. eth0 is now eth2, etc.  That isn't really a problem except
on a reboot.

I have setup eth0 and and eth1 to not activate on boot, but I do have
eth2.  It's setup with the correct IP, netmask and default gateway.  NM
is NOT managing the interfaces.  On a reboot, eth0 comes up, eth2
doesn't.  When I take down eth0 and bring up eth2, despite the settings
being there and correct, I still have to manually setup  the
IP/netmask/gw on eth2.

I'm rather surprised that this is even a problem, since I've not seen it
before.  Is there a reason for this?  And/or a way to fix it?

Mark Haney
Sr. Systems Administrator
ERC Broadband
(828) 350-2415

Call (866) ERC-7110 for after hours support