F9 install : can't get X to work

Beartooth Beartooth at swva.net
Tue Jun 17 15:38:06 UTC 2008

On Mon, 16 Jun 2008 19:27:19 -0700, Craig White wrote:

> On Tue, 2008-06-17 at 02:15 +0000, Beartooth wrote:
>> 	I have a problem with installing F9, which I think can't be
>> hardware.
>>
>>         I'm trying to shift my #1 machine over from Fedora 8 to Fedora
>>         9.
>> I got it out from behind the KVM switch, and did the install with
>> direct connections to the peripherals, so that it could negotiate with
>> them any way it needed. This worked fine with my #2.
>>
>>         #1, after what seemed a normal upgrade, however, is so far off
>> that I just get a brief little box on the monitor saying "Input signal
>> out of range. Change settings to 1680x1050 - 60 Hz" (which I think
>> comes from the monitor).
>>
>>         With RIPLinuX, I can edit what seems to be the machine's own
>> /etc/X11/xorg.conf (not RIPLinux's -- I hope and believe). I've tried
>> that a couple ways, trying to clone what #2 (running F9) and #3
>> (running F8) have -- the hard way, from behind the KVM switch.
>>
>>         I would much rather ssh into #1, or simply scp a config file
>> over. But, although RIPLinux will make #1 connect to the router, it
>> then refuses ssh and scp from the rest of the LAN.
>>
>>         Nor have I yet managed to get it to boot from its own hard
>>         drive
>> into init3. I can hit "I" for the interactive boot, but no matter how
>> fast I type init3, it still goes to that promptless demand from the
>> monitor.
>>
>>         With RIPLinux, if it gets to its useless, promptless display, I
>> can hit Ctrl-Alt-Backspace to get a root prompt; but with the machine
>> booted from the hard drive, that fails.
>>
>>         #1 machine did fine with this  monitor (an HP w2207h), twice,
>> running F8 both times; so do #2 and #3, albeit without actually using
>> 1680x1050. (They think it's 1280x1024, and one of them uses 1440x900
>> under that (!), but it's close enough for the monitor itself to
>> accommodate the difference by stretching.
> ----
> edit the grub boot (press 'e') and then edit the 'kernel' line by adding
> '3' at the end to boot in runlevel 3

	Aha! no init. Worked fine; many thanks! I added the 3 in /etc/
grub.conf, to make sure I don't forget.

> I would probably recommend that you simply run 'system-config-display
> --reconfig'

	First, I made #2 try to scr its own xorg.conf to #1; or #1 to scp
it from #2. Scp still failed.

	But ssh succeeded; so I now have #2 (whose name is hbsk) logged
in as root on #1 (whose name is TopBlack) -- so that I can click back and
forth on #2 between newsreader and ssh session.

	I see this :
	=====			=====
[btth at hbsk ~]$ ssh 192.168.0.3
btth at 192.168.0.3's password:
Last login: Thu Jun 12 13:28:04 2008 from 192.168.0.8
Can't open display
[btth at TopBlack ~]$ su -
Password:
[root at TopBlack ~]# system-config-display --reconfig

	=====			=====

	With neither a response nor a return to prompt. I *think* that
means it's hung, right? Probably because of the KVM machine being in the
way?

	I think that means my next move is to shut everything down, pull
#1 (which should now boot to init3) out from behind the KVM switch, plug
it directly into the peripherals, boot it up, and run system-config-
display --reconfig again on it (a command for which I thank you; I didn't
know anything like it existed.

	Stay tuned.

Fedora 8 & 9; Alpine 1.10, Pan 0.132; Privoxy 3.0.6;
Dillo 0.8.6, Galeon 2.0.3, Epiphany 2.20, Opera 9.27, Firefox 2 & 3