Fedora 9 x86_64 system compiling for i386

Antonio Olivares olivares14031 at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 17 15:59:46 UTC 2008

--- On Tue, 6/17/08, John Burton <j.c.burton at gats-inc.com> wrote:

> From: John Burton <j.c.burton at gats-inc.com>
> Subject: Fedora 9 x86_64 system compiling for i386
> To: fedora-list at redhat.com
> Date: Tuesday, June 17, 2008, 8:11 AM
> I have a MacBook Pro with Core 2 Duo processors (64bit). I
> originally
> had a straight install of Fedora 8 on it, which worked
> fine. My first
> mistake was trying to upgrade to Fedora 9. It had problems
> upgrading
> basic packages. Then I tried a clean install of Fedora 9
> (backup /
> format / install). I had better luck getting a functional
> system, but
> now I've run into another roadblock....
>
> I use my laptop as a development platform in a network with
> a mix of
> i386 and x86_64 linux boxes. On the current project I'm
> working on, we
> develop for the "lowest common denominator",
> which is i386. Other
> projects we compile to x86_64 so I need to be able to do
> both relatively
> transparently. The libraries for the current project are on
> our network
> fileserver and are i386. With fedora 8 this was no problem
> whatsoever -
> I just use the "-m32" switch when compiling on my
> machine and everything
> worked. With Fedora 9 the first hint of disaster was an
> error message
>
> "/usr/include/gnu/stubs.h:7:27: error: gnu/stubs-32.h:
> No such file or
> directory"
>
> Okay, so for whatever reason, the i386 compatibility
> libraries /
> includes / whatever weren't installed. I go to install
> them and guess
> what, there is no such animal in any of the fedora 9
> repositories. Doing
> a little more research, I find that the
> "gnu/stubs" files are in
> glibc-headers. Fedora 9 uses version 2.8.3 for x86_64. I
> find the
> glibc-headers-2.8.3.i386.rpm file on RPMFIND. When I try to
> install it,
> many of the files conflict with ones from
> glibc-headers-2.8.3.x86_64.rpm.

I had an experience like this
> /usr/include/gnu/stubs.h:7:27: error: gnu/stubs-32.h: No such file or directory

But Ralf gave me direction and helped me here.

# rpm -qf /usr/include/gnu/stubs-32.h
glibc-devel-2.8-3.i386

The solution was to install the .i386 packages for what you need.  I just did a yum list nameofpackage* and I have x86_64 bit machine as well, I got the i386 packages and was good to go.  You may need to do the same.

As for the names of the packages, I do not know which ones specifically you need.

> How can I compile and link C, C++, and FORTRAN code for the
> i386
> architecture on my x86_64 machine.

Install the i386 devel packages and this should work:).

Regards,

Antonio