getting rid of gnome

Tom Horsley tom.horsley at att.net
Tue Jun 17 23:27:38 UTC 2008

On Wed, 18 Jun 2008 00:46:58 +0200
"Andras Simon" <szajmi at gmail.com> wrote:

> What is the official way to get rid of either gnome...

I don't think there is an "official" way, but you can write
your own ~/.xsession script to do whatever you want (however
on F9, you'll have to install the xorg-x11-xinit rpm in
order to get a choice in the gdm login to run your user
defined script).

My .xsession has grown over the years, but it still basically
just runs fvwm and a few selected apps.

As a result, I get to have my entire screen available and not
cluttered with annoying panels, random applets popping up demanding
attention, etc.

If all you want to change is the window manager, the odds are
good that you could search with gconf-editor for "metacity" and find
the config key that tells gnome to start that and replace it
with something else. (Though I haven't tried it).