bootable failed sw raid 1 with F9

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Wed Jun 18 14:29:09 UTC 2008

On Tue, Jun 17, 2008 at 16:01:09 +0100,
  John Whitley <jrw at gwsevern.co.uk> wrote:
> When I had the problem, I had already run grub as you suggest ( using
> hd0) on both /dev/sda and /dev/sdb, and had gone through the process of
> removing dev/sdb, booting onto /dev/sda successfully, re-booting with
> both /dev/sda and /dev/sdb, and re-building the mirrors with mdadm
> --add. I repeated this cycle on Fedora 8 install, Fedora 8 plus updated
> kernel, Fedora 8 plus all updates successfully. I only experienced the
> problem either after a Fedora 9 install, or updating from Fedora 8 to
> Fedora 9.

There is a limitation in the install process in that it only installs grub
in the mbr of the boot disk. You could make an enhancement request that
if the system finds /boot on a raid 1 device (and there are already some
checks for /boot so this might not be a big deal) that grub be installed
on all of the mbrs.

I think the reason there was a problem with the upgrade path is that grub
needed to be upgraded because of a change in ext3 systems to handle
larger inodes. This upgrade would have been done on only on of the mbrs.