Fedora ain't playin' around w/Firefox 3.

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Wed Jun 18 15:37:06 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-06-18 at 08:13 -0700, bruce wrote:
> the issue of the FF security measures (and others) is that the data on
> the URLs you visit might go back to a 3rd party company (IE google),
>
> google claims that they're not going to do anything with the data, but
> there's nothing to stop them if they do.

Like we believe that... (about a company who's stated aim was to
database everything).  I think it's more of a concern what they'd do
with it, rather than worrying *if* they'll do something with it.

Unfortunately, there's a lot of services which aren't secure (e.g. they
put *your* info into the URI, where someone else seems like you if they
use the same URI).  That's not the sort of thing you want ending up
being indexed by a search engine.  And it's not something that most of
the general public would understand.

> it would be nice if google/firefox actually would spell all of this
> out, as well as make the default "off", but it's easier for them to
> have the user have to opt out.
>
> i didn't discover this, untill i was looking at the packets/traffic
> from my FF browser and got curious about the "google" traffic when i
> wasn't using google!!

I thought it was pretty obvious what it'd have to do, to work.

I always go through the browser preferences of new installs, and most
updates.  I found an option about checking websites and it's clear that
it'd either have to come with black/white lists (not practical), or ask
some service for its thoughts on what you were about to access.

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.25.6-55.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.