DNS: Question about setting abc.com record

Daniel B. Thurman dant at cdkkt.com
Wed Jun 18 15:38:51 UTC 2008

I have several DNS servers and wondered if the following
record entry is properly set for all of my DNS servers:

$TTL 172800
@        IN SOA ns1.abc.com. admin.abc.com. (
                1               ; serial
                3H            ; refresh
                15M          ; retry
                1W            ; expiry
                1D )           ; minimum
;============ Nameserver ================
@               IN NS           ns1.abc.com.
@               IN NS           ns2.abc.com.
@               IN NS           ns3.abc.com.
;============ Mail Exchange =============
@               IN MX   10      mail1.abc.com.
@               IN MX   20      mail2.abc.com.
@               IN MX   30      mail3.abc.com.
@               IN TXT          v=spf1 a mx -all
;============ Hosts ======================
@               IN A            10.1.0.1
mail1           IN A            10.1.0.1
mail2           IN A            10.1.0.2
mail3           IN A            10.1.0.3
ns1             IN A            10.1.0.1
ns2             IN A            10.1.0.2
ns3             IN A            10.1.0.2
;========================================

In particular, I am focusing on record:
@               IN A            10.1.0.1

The reason I have set all of my DNS zones for the above record
for all of my DNS servers is because if had I set this record for the
actual localhost IP address, it appears that if I send mail on the
localhost, the localhost would receive the email I sent. For example,
sending mail to: joe at abc.com would be received at the localhost instead
of being sent to mail{1,2,3}.abc.com.  Worse, any localhost programs
attempting to send emails to "root at abc.com" would fail to be delivered
to one of the MX list.

So, the question is, must each DNS server have it's own real IP address
in the '@' record?  If so, how do I get around this?

Kind regards,
Dan