Renaming a User

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Wed Jun 18 15:51:11 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-06-18 at 11:44 -0400, Thom Paine wrote:
> I was wondering if it's possible to quickly and easily switch a
> username on a samba controlled domain. I have a user who got married
> and I need to change her login from sgillies to scampbell. Is there a
> quick way I could do this, or do I need to create a new user and then
> copy her data over? I've been reading, but I can't find anything to
> clearly tell me if I can or not.
>
> This in on a Windows XP network with a Samba DC.
----
sure but you'd have to change...

/etc/passwd (or wherever user accounts are stored)
/etc/shadow (or wherever user passwords are stored)
the users $HOME directory
smbpasswd (or tdbpassdb or wherever samba user accounts/passwords are
stored)

If you were using LDAP, you'd probably already understand this and could
make the changes.

I wouldn't recommend doing any of that...a user account is a user
account and they should just continue to use the same login.

If you create a new account and try to 'move' stuff, you are gonna have
to use the profile migration tool from Microsoft to move the users
'profile' to the new account.

Craig